Thursday, February 9, 2017

5 Bright Sides of Trump's Presidency

I'm definitely not as thrilled about your presidency as you are, Mr. Trump. Actually, it'd be impossible for anyone to be.
I don't know about you, but my mental and emotional health has been severely affected by Donald Trump's victorious election, inauguration, and the breakneck speed of policy changes and public reactions in the last 3 months. Obviously, I did not vote for him, but I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton either. I voted for Jill Stein of the Green Party, which I didn't completely agree with but more so than Trump or Clinton. I didn't expect her to win but I certainly didn't expect Trump to win either. The unthinkable happened, and unthinkable things have kept happening.

I've never felt so many surges of negative emotions while reading/watching social media posts and news sources - frustration, annoyance, indignation, shock, outrage, despondence, hopelessness, helplessness, disgust, etc...I seriously considered moving to another country for the first time in my life because I saw only negative consequences for America and the world. Dirtier air and water, inflamed and systematized discrimination of women & minorities, inexperienced and corrupt appointed leaders, conflicts of interest between his personal businesses & politics, obstruction of scientific research and facts, greater threat of nuclear war, a sullying of America's reputation in the world, and various other fears/worries. I cannot and do not want to go on living in a state of gloom and anger for the next 4 years!

So I've been trying to cope. Looking for the good in the world and in my life. Continuing to write in my daily gratitude journal. Venting to others. Praying a whole lot, especially for Trump and his cabinet members to be wise, honest, altruistic, and just. And I decided I wanted to write and share the positive consequences I can think of from Trump's presidency. Here's what I came up with:
  1. I am more informed - I barely read the news or cared about politics before this. But ignorance is a luxury I cannot indulge in anymore.  I am more motivated to stay informed because Trump is instating drastic high-level policies that will affect us all no matter how we might try to hide our heads in the sand. I need to know what's coming and do something about it if I can. I am now more aware of what's going on in the world, though I wish the headlines would be more balanced with positive things, like the things in this video I had no idea about.
  2. I have more compassion for others - It has been heartening to see how all the groups who feel threatened (which seems like everyone except heterosexual white American Christian men) are organizing, uniting, and peacefully protesting things that matter to them. It is also amazing to see how people who are not directly threatened stand up for others who are more vulnerable out of a genuine concern for common humanity. I feel more empathic and connected to others around me despite outward differences. 
  3. I am more articulate about my own stance - A lot of the things Trump has done/caused that have offended me do so on a deep emotional level, from which I respond with quick accusatory posts. My friends who think differently and present opposing views have forced me to better develop my own opinions, do more research to look for objective facts, and consider new perspectives. We are talking about politics and current events more than ever as a society, and I think it is important to learn to do so respectfully, clearly, calmly, and honestly. 
  4. I am learning and practicing mindfulness & Dialectical Behavior Therapy - These are proven skills and tools for managing our difficult emotions, thoughts, and behaviors more calmly so we become less likely to make rash decisions out of impulse. Mindfulness is about bringing attention to the present moment without judgment, which is helpful for me because I tend to worry about what might happen in the future. I'm reading books, attending workshops, doing more yoga, and using an app to meditate everyday (I highly recommend the free app Calm). My country, our world, and my life are likely only going to get more complicated and stress-inducing, so I'm dedicating this year to building a stronger emotional and mental foundation to better handle the challenges ahead. 
  5. I am drawing closer to Christ - I'm so grateful to have my Mormon faith to turn to throughout my life, especially now. I've been looking for General Conference talks and Ensign articles that offer hope and comfort. Teachings of the Presidents of the Church we are studying in church right now is a great resource. President Gordon B. Hinckley was such an exuberantly optimistic and positive prophet, along with President Thomas S. Monson. I'm grateful for their encouragement and example. All of these sources point me to Jesus Christ, my Savior and Redeemer. As I read the scriptures, I am inspired by how past people of God endured much harder times of war and persecution with firm faith and hope in the future. I know Christ will come again and be a just and merciful king who will lead us to eternal life free from sin and suffering. Trump is president for 4 years (hopefully less) but Christ is our king forever (Revelations 19:15-16). Because Christ is always the answer. 
I'm hoping I can think of more positive things as time passes. Feel free to share yours in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment