Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Religion is a Benefit, Not a Barrier


If you're applying to NYU's master's program in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness for 2014, you will need to write an essay in addition to your personal statement.
Describe a characteristic or issue of your own that could present a challenge in your work as a counselor. Explain how you address that challenge to become a more effective counselor. 
This was my response in full (2 pages, double spaced):

Counseling is a very personal profession with many varying factors because there is almost an infinite variety of people and situations. And thus, I understand it is necessary to be self-reflective and self-aware so we as counselors can understand the unique reference point from which we each counsel others. Among my many characteristics is my adherence to what I believe is right and spurning what I believe is wrong. Like most characteristics, this can be an advantage or disadvantage, strength or weakness, depending on the situation and the degree to which I exercise it. In the case of following the tenets of my religion, I am generally very obedient to all the rules and commandments and do not have to repent of any big sins often. This affords me a greater sense of peace and joy. However, it can also cause me to be critical or judgmental of others who are doing what I believe to be wrong or harmful. I do not usually express my disapproval verbally, but I know it may be communicated non-verbally in various ways. This negative tendency is actually against my religion. I acknowledge that this could present a challenge in my work as a compassionate, inclusive, and effective counselor so I am determined to address this issue so that it does not negatively affect my future work as a counselor.
              One of the reasons I am applying to NYU is because of its dedication to diversity – in its faculty, student body, curriculum content, and array of educational experiences. It is located in one of the most diverse and vibrant cities of the world. I am eager to be exposed to and learn from new perspectives that will challenge, expand, and enlighten my mind. If I am accepted and choose to matriculate into the Masters Program in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness, I am fully aware that I would encounter many people and ideas that are different from my own, including ones that may directly oppose what I hold to be true and sacred. In this situation, I think it would be best to use a concrete example.
               I am an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose members are also known as Mormons. As Mormonism has spread to the national stage through popular figures in politics, business, sports, and entertainment, we have been able to share more about our beliefs and dispel popular myths and misconceptions. We believe that marriage and family are central to God’s divine plan of happiness, that marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman with gender being an eternal characteristic. We also believe in keeping the Law of Chastity throughout our lives, which means sexual activity is reserved only between a man and a woman who are married. These beliefs are often viewed as traditional or old-fashioned and held by a decreasing percentage of the general population. Nevertheless, we believe that changes in popular opinion or civil law cannot change the moral law God has established. These tenets guide my life and I am completely devoted to them.
               With that stated, I know with certainty that many, if not most, of the people I encounter will disagree with me on some point of Church doctrine. But there are other broader laws and principles that Mormons believe that prevent us from designating anyone who disagrees with us as an enemy. The most basic of these are: everyone is a child of God deserving of dignity and respect, and personal agency is a gift from God. We are encouraged to share and stand by our own beliefs, but to afford everyone else the freedom to choose for themselves. Above all, the gospel of Jesus Christ teaches us to love and treat all people with kindness, and to look for the best in others. There is always common ground that can be found and shared.
               Therefore, my natural inclination to adhere to moral codes will most likely be a benefit and advantage rather than a challenge or barrier to a successful and fulfilling career in counseling. Christ sometimes disagreed with the actions and choices of those around Him but He always treated everyone with humility, kindness, and respect. He offered gentle, simple, and effective counsel to help improve the lives of others. He is the ultimate exemplar I strive to follow. I know if I am successful in doing so, I will become an excellent counselor who can truly help my clients achieve mental health and wellness.

Direct sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment